Monday, February 28, 2011

shut it down

the results are in, and well, the news is not good. i have two new tumors showing on my latest MRI. these two new tumors are in the right side of the brain, but not near the original surgical site. they are small, like the one from last october, but they have formed while undergoing the same chemo treatment that seemingly got rid of the one from october. what does that mean exactly? my doctor put it bluntly: our current chemotherapy strategy is simply not working - our (medical) defense is broken.

so what next? the tumors are still small, and would be no match for a round of gamma knife radiation. however, having 3 new tumors in almost as many months my doctor thinks it not a great idea to immediately do the gamma knife surgery. without any defense against the cancer the radiation would just put off the inevitable reoccurance of more cancer. so my doctor would rather look for another chemotherapy that may be more effective at containing the cancer, then radiate the tumors that are left.

i have been on the two most effective chemo drugs available - avastan and temodar - and they have not worked. from here there are not many choices for chemo left. what is available is more dangerous and statistically less effective. my doctor is also trying to get in touch with duke medical center to see if there are any viable clinical trials i could be a part of. absent the clinical trial availability in two weeks i will add the irinotecan in addition to avastan and temodar.

in other potentially not so great news, our government may be shutting down this friday, or at least those of us not considered essential. what that means to me is i may be unemployed next week. i could use some time off, but i do like to pay my bills, and do appreciate the health insurance my job provides me.


please pray for me. please pray for my family. i am so thankful the LORD is my shepherd. what else can i say. Father please have mercy on me.

11 comments:

  1. Father, I lift up to you my brother John and his family, friends, Doctors and caregivers. Mercy, strength, peace and courage. Thank you that you are our Father.

    ReplyDelete
  2. wish there were words, praying the comforter will do what only He can.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The Bible tells us "With God all things are possible." I am praying He will do what the chemo is not. Love and prayers to you and all your family

    ReplyDelete
  4. We will be praying for you by name daily..May God bless you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm sure you know much more about the clinical trials process than you ever thought you'd know. Best of luck on the therapy and hope to see you in NYC again.

    ReplyDelete
  6. May God bless you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  7. may God reveal Himself in this time of great trials, and may you know His love, mercy, and faithfulness each day. we are praying for you daily.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Praying for you John!

    ReplyDelete
  9. We are continuing to pray for you daily.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you for keeping us updated on your progress. I have been told that this cancer does not ever go away but I also know that from the beginning the doctors at Duke, where I go, have said always stay positive and that there would be ups and downs along the way and they have seen miracles happen. So I have tried my best to always look up and I feel like I am a miracle at this point and as my testimony said my faith in the Lord as he spoke to me and told me he has things for me to do. As long as I'm here I try to do his work. I also am selfish enough to want to stay here with my family and friends. I will continue to pray for you and as anybody knows we do not know how much time the Lord has given us. It could be a second or it could be years only He knows. I keep hoping and praying that what we are going through with this cancer that the research they learn from us will help someone else. Please be positive, give it to the Lord, and know that my family and I are praying for you and are praying for a miracle, we can beat this with the Lord's help. God's grace, God's peace, God's love, Brenda Noble

    ReplyDelete