Tuesday, October 12, 2010

"saved alone"

About 3-1/2 years ago the preacher at the church I attended at the time gave a sermon about slowing down and giving God space to work in our lives. He told a story about an early saint or monk who read and meditated only on the same 5 verses for months on end. He (the saint) said he learned more about God from those verses than he had his life to that point. So our pastor challenged us to take a few verses (Luke 11:5-13) and simply read them each day for a week, and see what God does with them. I tried it and was so enlightened by it I decided to begin to read the Bible in that way. I started with Psalm 1 on the first week. The next week - Psalm 2; and so on. (Just as an aside, I would encourage the same experiment with the verses from Luke above. You never know what might come of it).

If you've been in church any amount of time you probably
know the story of how the lyrics to the hymn from my last post was written. My memory said it was inspired by Psalm 146. Next week is my Psalm 146 week so I thought I'd peek ahead and give it a look for the sake of this blog and my curiosity. To be honest, I didn't quite get the connection to the hymn. Tonight a quick look at wikipedia reveals my memory is not that trustworthy - it was actually Psalm 46.

Tomorrow early I will be getting my latest MRI done. Later in the week I will see the doctor to hear the results. Please say a prayer for that. The days leading up to the newest scans are usually a nail-biting restless affair. I am praying for some clear improvement in the scan, some shrinkage of the visible cancer.

I know I've not posted much of substance lately, but none-the-less, thank you all for sticking with me. Thank you for your prayers and encouragement. More soon.
JT

No comments:

Post a Comment