Sunday, March 14, 2010

IV Chemo #1 for realz

Tomorrow, after a one week reprieve, I expect to take my first IV Chemo treatment of the amazing Avastran. I am not sure what to expect, the doctors and nurses are always upbeat, which is I'm sure by design. Since it is my first IV I have decided to take a few precautions. I've asked my brother-in-law if I could catch a ride with him on his way to work. This lets me sleep in an hour and a half extra, spend some good traffic time with one of my favorite people, and avoid the high stress of driving home after being at the hospital all day. It has also let me spend the whole day at the Cochran house. Since I will be taking my regular radiation treatment later in the same day at the hospital, and seeing the radiation doctor, I've decided to skip work altogether tomorrow too. Maybe I can get together with some old coworkers at Casa Grande across the street from the hospital for lunch to pass the time.

Friday was a bit of a milestone for me. Friday I ended the third week of my radiation treatments, which marks the half-way point, so that is nice to think about. I have been told to expect the nadir of the radiation experience to begin around the fourth week. That coupled with the new IV chemo and it may be a long week this week. You can say a prayer for patience and strength if you think about it (maybe a bit of wisdom about how hard to push this week would be in order too).

Thank you all as usual for your thoughts and prayers. I'm sorry I don't always get back with you right away when you call or email. Most of the time I am asleep on the couch when it happens.
john

3 comments:

  1. His mercies are new every morning. We love you and are praying for you! Catherine

    ReplyDelete
  2. Praying for you John. That God will give you peace despite the circumstances and strength to endure. I think about how he has already taken care of you by providing a job at the right time and I am reassured that He will continue to watch over you. It is so comforting to know that He does not slumber nor does He sleep.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are hanging in there quite strongly, and I admire your positive attitude and interesting posts. Will continue praying for you and I look forward to seeing you in a few weeks.
    Vita

    ReplyDelete