Monday, January 23, 2012

How Do You Like Apples?

My latest chemo (etoposide) was made from acid that came from apples. Probably poisonous ones. The results of my EEG came back and there are no surprises. After several weeks of radiation, one traumatizing brain surgery, and two years of chemotherapy, I have extensive permanent damage on the right side of my brain. Big surprise. This means the left side of my body doesn't work that good anymore. In attempt to address my ongoing seizures, my medication has been changed yet again. I complained to the doctor that the new medicine makes me feel drunk and disoriented. I have trouble walking, talking, typing, basic hand-eye coordination. The doctor says, "I'm sorry. That's not the medication. That's the cancer taking over your brain." For that reason, he recommended home hospice care. Agreeing to home hospice care, I have given up the right to future cancer treatments.

After Christmas we went to a lawyer and put to rest all our million dollar baby issues. The doctor said it was time. Praise the Lord for my friends and family who have helped me the last couple weeks as I've been in and out of the hospital with blood clots and seizures. Thank you to everyone who has come to visit. Thank you even more to everyone who brought food specifically brownies and anything else that hasn't made me sick. Praise the Lord I'm still alive. Please continue to pray for me.

11 comments:

  1. Run through the finish line tape, brother. God still has something for you to accomplish, whether it all ends tonight or through old age.

    Love in Christ, JM

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thoughts, prayers and God's peace for you through this.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are so brave and inspirational. I have so much respect for you. My thoughts and prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  4. John,
    Thank you for teaching me, leading me, and inspiring me! Through your example, many have learned what it means to be a Christ follower! I pray that I can be a fraction of the example you have set for so many. Continuing to pray for you and your family!
    love to you~Gabe
    PS...Still looking for those pumpkin spice donuts:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. John, if it provides any assistance to you at all, not being a person of faith as I am, to see the nature of your relationship with God has been awe inspiring and almost jealousy provoking. Your life, and the manner in which you have handled what I consider a pretty tough hand has made me question a lot of things about the way I live my life and the way I will continue to live mine. You will be in my thoughts long after you are done fighting. I dont know if I will ever be witness to someone who could handle the same situation with so much faith and grace. You rlife is a testimony and I hope you find comfort in that.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You are my hero John. I couldn't have imagined a better brother or friend. I love you. -Catherine

    ReplyDelete
  7. Praying and caring for you John - to God be the Glory in all of this.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Stay strong my friend... joy will surely come in the morning.

    ReplyDelete
  9. How bout them apples! (is this the part where one of us gets the pretty girl's phone #?)

    But seriously forgive me for not doing Friday Night Lights at Movie and a Massage. I thought it was just about football. That's as silly as saying Tebow is just a quarterback.

    ReplyDelete
  10. You make me want to be a better person. Thank you for sharing your life and pain and faith in this blog. You are an inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  11. John, now more than ever, I wish I lived in Atlanta. I look back to CHCS and you were always one of the kindest and most genuine person that I knew. On the night of my graduation, you came to tell me that you were moved during my solo. You will never know who much that meant to me. You were so talented and it was such an honor to receive a compliment from you.
    Though out the two years, I have followed your blog and send my thoughts and warm wishes your way. May peace find you, my sweet friend. You have been such an inspiration and a true testimony of strength and faith. Thinking of you.

    ReplyDelete