Tuesday, May 4, 2010

new round

After a full week of (mental) agony, I went yesterday to the oncologist for my first dose of my new round of chemotherapy. Last Monday my oncologist told me he was going to double my current regime and add a third trial chemo IV to the mix. As I am quite afraid of all chemo (especially ‘works-in-progress’ trial drugs) all week long I fretted and prayed and grumbled and worried about this third mystery treatment. What was it, what were the risks and side effects, what would the schedule be, what should I expect, how should I prepare, etc?

When I met with the doctor before starting my IV’s he told me he had changed his mind about the third drug and decided not to do it at all. I was so elated I almost wanted to cry. This was an answer to prayer that I have to confess I didn’t even have the faith to pray. I know that God is in control and He loves us. I don’t know this necessarily because He gives us what we like or want; but because He intervenes and makes change happen.

I did have my Avastran IV yesterday, and tonight I start my double-dose of Temodar pills. I’ve been warned that combination may make for a bumpy ride; so some storms you get to avoid, and some you get to walk with God through. Please join me in praying for strength to endure these chemo treatments; and a blissful heartfelt prayer of thanks for being able to be protected from the third one. As always, I continue to prayer for healing, and the complete removal of any and all cancer from my brain.

Oh yeah, did I say anything about pictures? I guess I did promise a few pictures, so here they are in sequential order I suppose.

Ephesians 3:20-21.

John

8 comments:

  1. Continuing to pray for you John, as you walk this long arduous journey may you continue walking in His strength knowing that the God of All comfort has you in the palm of His hand. May He surround you at this time with His peace - His Love is never ending.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll be in town soon buddy. Always praying for ya.

    ReplyDelete
  3. John,thanks for reminding me you need prayer, Vickie and I will be praying for you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You sort of resemble Justin Timberlake. My thoughts and prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are bringing sexy back!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am praying for you as well John for a speedy and total recovery.

    ReplyDelete