Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Round 1 day 2

The day starts at 4:30. I could sleep another 8 hours easily. We begin with the power of purple, along with some kind of chocolate fiber bar and a third of a box of tagalongs that I promised myself I wouldn’t eat today. No nausea last night, and I slept pretty well; thank the Lord for that. They say that 91% of people on Temodar experience nausea and/or insomnia.

At work at 6:05. I spend about 20 minutes in the bathroom. High pressure toilets, someone else cleaning, plenty of free paper. It’s a messy business that I’m happy to take care of at the office. I have a late appointment with the radiologist today, so I hang around a bit later at the office. I leave at 3, get to the hospital at 4 and get my first brain frying. The chemo I took last night has supposedly weakened just the cancel cells in my head (body), which will allow the radiologist to dial in more specifics to kill only those weakened cells while sparing the healthy brain cells I have left. Chemo sets ‘em up, radiation knocks ‘em down. Truth is the radiation knocks ‘em all down, but the weakened cancer cells don’t get back up. The radiologist says the normal cells can heal themselves in time.

The doctor gives me my new patient packet, I set my schedule for the next however-many weeks and I’m out. I get done just before the crush of rush hour. I debate whether to call on close-by friends and ride out the storm at someone’s house or pub, or to brave on with traffic.

Food and sleep are my main concerns during this 5 day chemo regimen. I would like to finish eating dinner by 7 each day, and be in bed by 10. Therefore, I decide to brave traffic, push south and hope for the best. Peachtree, Spring, connector, south, go-you-little-hamsters-go. I swing by 5 guys, eat with the fam, and am home by 7:30. In a few minutes I’ll take dose number 2 of 5 for round 1.

Good day today. Thank you all for your prayers and well wishes. Thank you Jesus for your love.

john

2 comments:

  1. John, it's Pat. Your mother was kind enough to share the blog. Wishing you all the best from one who has been there, done that, and even have some Relay for Life t-shirts :). There's power in the name of Jesus and you know to call his name when you need it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for writing. You are good at it (which really isn't fair since you've already got the gifts of math, art, drawing, and constructing, the list goes on and on). What happened to me? We are related. I have some of your DNA which means I should have some of that talent too right? God gave you tons of it and left me to eat your dust!! Living in your shadow continues... :):) Love, Catherine

    ReplyDelete